Wednesday 14 December 2011

Dungeon Design by Hangout

Tonight me and a few others attempted a world first (as far as I'm aware). We used Google Hangouts to build a dungeon.

Seven of us contributed at various points throughout the 90 minutes. The product of which can be seen in this map and the accompanying document.


Big thanks to Jez Gordon for suggesting we use his DungeonFu template. It proved incredibly useful.

My personal highlights that I saw other people add are:
  • A Pterodactyl cave.
  • The scene of a theological debate between pixies, frogs and clams.
  • A HUGE table of random smells, sounds and other weird stuff.
  • Acid traps and humming mushrooms, just to remind you that this is probably for D&D.
Some observations of this method of dungeon design:
  • People seemed very happy to get imaginative! We didn't end up with orcs guarding chests.
  • There was less messing with other people's ideas than I expected. It's good because people got to flesh out rooms by themselves but I'd have loved to see a bit more collaboration.
  • We made a deadly dungeon.
Thanks to Nadav Ben Dov, Kyrinn S. Eiss, Barry Blatt, Joshua Macy, James Paese and David Reichgeld for contributing (let me know if I missed you off!).

For the rest of you, let me know if you decide to do anything with this dungeon. It's so fresh I haven't even had a chance to look at the whole thing myself yet!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like it was really fun.
    I'm sorry I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely using some ideas for my game. What a mad fun dungeon. So many colors, humor and different situations!

    ReplyDelete